Just in from SAQA:
"Metaphors on Aging" (after a wonderful reception in both the UK and South Africa) will be traveling to the International Quilt Festival in Chicago and to Quilt! Knit! Stitch in Portland, Oregon. The Original Sewing and Quilting Expo is eagerly anticipating sharing it with their expected 92,000 visitors when it tours their 11 venues beginning in September.
Here's a little about the history of this piece:
Wnen my dad died in 2011, I spent about 6 months working on a series of quilts, initiated by work in an on-line course on "Working in a Series" taught by artist Lisa Call.
This one came in 2013, when I developed a large stencil based on one of the previous art quilts, in response to the exhibit call for SAQA's project.
I ironed the freezer paper stencil onto a large piece of recycled damask table cloth, then screen-printed the mermaid image using a combination of tempera paint and acrylic paint because I could not get the intense blue matt color I was looking for with acrylic alone. (Who knows if it will fade? So far, not) The image of my Sirena, an alter ego for myself, is filled with milagros (miracle charms) that refer to the gifts that my father gave me in life -- love of work with hands, words, fishing lines, star-gazing, geology...
The border fabric is an over dyed piece of vintage curtain brocade, so the entire piece is on "aged" fabric! I added the prayer flag as a note to the role prayer and faith play as we age, and the eagle embroideries were cut from a damaged piece of Oaxacan embroidery -- a nod to the bravery we must have as we age.
The work was fused, then machine free-motion quilted, then filled with hand-stitch.
If you are near any of the 11 venues, I hope you will visit and send me pics! The piece is for sale for $1,800.
1. IQF -- Chicago, Illinois (June 19-21, 2014)
2. Quilt! Knit! Stitch! -- Portland, Oregon (August 14-16, 2014)
3. Fons & Porter Love of Quilting Expo -- Atlanta, Georgia (September 11-13, 2014)
4. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Fredericksburg, Virginia (October 2-4, 2014)
5. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Overland Park, Kansas (October 9-11, 2014)
6. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Fort Worth, Texas (October 16-18, 2014)
7. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Tinley Park, Illinois (November 10-22, 2014)
8. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Lakeland, Florida (March 2015)
9. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Schaumburg, Illinois (March 2015)
10. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Cleveland, Ohio (April 2015)
11. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Worcester, Massachusetts (April 2015)
12. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Raleigh, North Carolina (June 2015)
13. Original Sewing & Quilting Expo -- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (August 2015)